Property Advice – Make your move Easy
Planning is the key to a stress free move. Use this checklist as a guide.
6 to 8 weeks before:
- Confirm moving dates and call for quotes from movers (or organise transport and boxes)
- Confirm insurance coverage needs
- Organise transfer of telephone, electricity and water accounts
4 weeks before:
- Do an inventory of your belongings and allocate them to the rooms in your new house
- Hold a garage sale or give items you don’t need to charity or friends
- Arrange for storage of your items if needed
- Go to your new house to measure for appliances and curtains
3 weeks before:
- Get back any records you will be taking – medical, dental, school, etc.
- Keep aside important documents like passports, insurance documents, utility accounts, etc.
- Begin packing, unless you have arranged for all packing to be handled by the mover
- Make plans for your pets
- Send change of address announcements by post or e-mail
2 weeks before:
- Cancel of reschedule deliveries of newspaper, bread, garden services, etc.
- If you have a young child, book a baby sitter for moving day
1 week before:
- Arrange for a transfer of prescriptions
- Defrost and dry refrigeration/freezer (about 3 days before move)
- Remove/pack items not to be moved and label them `DO NOT MOVE´
- Pack a box of essentials needed for moving and label `LAST ON; FIRST OFF´
Courtesy Bond Choice Home Loans